Donna Bucy the Mother of Jordan Bucy
Mother who lost son in mishap cries for change
She is working to prevent residential pool and spa suctions from causing drowning deaths.
By FERDIE DE VEGA
N.Y. Times Regional Newspaper Group
Since losing her 10-year-old son in a whirlpool spa accident last month in Ocala, Donna Bucy has become an advocate for changes to the state code to prevent drowning deaths in private pools and spas.
Jordan Bucy, who got his fingers caught in the drain of his family's spa at their Ocala home, was underwater for about three minutes. After being pulled from the drain, he never regained consciousness and died three days later at Shands at the University of Florida.
Donna Bucy returned to Gainesville on Monday to show her support for requirements to prevent deaths from body-part entrapment and hair entanglement in pools and spas.
They are "steps in the right direction," she said.
At a workshop at the Sheraton Gainesville Hotel, the Florida building Commission's plumbing technical advisory committee
unanimously approved the inclusion of a six-point subsection titled "Entrapment protection for Suction Inlets" to the state code regarding new residential pools and spas.
The state Building Commission is now only two steps away from making the groundbreaking changes to the state code.
"If I understand it, we are breaking new ground in the swimming pool code in the country," said Dan Shaw, chairman of the advisory committee. "That can be good and bad. We must make sure it's done right."
"What we do here ... may have ramifications nationally," he said. "And that's a good thing."
Donna Bucy briefly spoke to advisory committee members Monday.
Dealing with the loss is "still very difficult, still very hard," she said after the meeting.
"But I know that (the changes in the state code) will save another life and have an impact on other little Jordan Bucys. He was a compassionate child with a love for life," she said. "He would have wanted it that way."
From 1995 to July 2000, there were 60 incidents of entrapment under water throughout the country, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. Among those, there were 10 deaths.